Wednesday, February 26, 2014

New Angel Art Dolls




Since I have been working on dolls the past couple of months I thought I would show the two Angel dolls I recently finished. Both of these are from patterns I designed.

My first couple of dolls in 2005 were from a pattern by Patti Medaris Culea, from her book Creative Cloth Doll Making. If you want to learn some great stuff, get that book. She has three patterns in it that allow you to pick and choose and be very creative. She also has some fabulous photos of dolls made by her and by many other people. You can also check Google Images for photos of Patti’s dolls.


I have been sewing for well over 50 years so I quickly began creating my own patterns. But for anyone who feels less confident in designing patterns, definitely purchase the cloth doll making books by Patti and by Susanna Oroyan. Though Susanna has passed away, her books are necessary reading for doll making.



First is the 27” Ballerina Angel. I love making large dolls. They don’t take any longer really than the smaller ones, The details are the same for me. The larger ones are easier to put together. The fingers are easier to turn and all the parts as well. But I can get just as carried away with embellishment on small ones as I do on the larger ones.




The second doll is called a stump doll. This is because she is created over a wooden dowel that is glued into a wooden base. The doll has no legs or feet. This one, the I Heart Angel doll is about 15” tall. I was inspired by Valentine’s Day.

Both dolls are all cloth filled with polyester fiberfill. They have yarn hair and a variety of fabrics.




My next post will be the first of two parts. I am working on a mermaid doll that is a little different from the two I have made before. I am excited to show you the progress of making her.



Both dolls shown here are for sale in my Etsy shop  - www.etsy.com/shop/1krazyrtist

Til next time. J

Terri

No comments: