Friday, December 22, 2023

 December 22, 2023

Happy Holidays to all.

While I was working in the small shop in town I made some polymer clay gnome and troll figures. 

I also made some gnome magnets and lapel pins. I put some magnets and pins out at the recent craft fair and all the magnets sold quickly. So I have been making new ones to sell.

 

I use polymer clay because it stays soft until it is baked so it can be sculpted easily with no time limit. Plus the designs that can be created by rolling two or more colors together is endless. I love mixing colors together. There are lots and lots of different colors so it’s fun to experiment with them and create one-of-a-kind sculptures. 

I begin by rolling out a piece of black clay for the body base/back. I decide how long I want the whole piece. In this case I tried to keep the gnomes to about two and a half inches tall. I cut out a form from paper as a pattern that is about two inches long. I laid it on the black clay and used a clay knife to cut it out. I laid the clay over the magnet.  Then I made little black teardrops to add as shoes. The clay on top will wrap around the sides and will bring the piece up to the two and a half inches when finished.

 




I then decide on a color scheme. I usually choose three colors to go together for the hat, shirt, and pants. If I create a piece that is just the head I choose colors for the hat and the flower that goes on the hat.

 


There is a process I follow. First I lay the black body base over the magnet and press it so the clay covers the magnet. Then I make the pants by rolling out the clay into a small square. I lay it over the body base making sure it wraps on the sides. Then from the back I cut the clay. I want to make sure the black base is covered on the sides.

 



Then I choose the shirt color and hat colors. I make the shirt like the pants, by laying the clay over the body base and deciding the size. Again I press it on the body base and wrap it along the sides, then cut it from the back. I then create the arms and hands and attach them to the body. I leave them laying to the sides until I get the beard on.

 

At this point I put on the beard. I use a mix of black and white clay (sometimes adding in some silver clay) . I swirl them together to get the look of gray hair. I begin to form the beard and lay it over the body to check for the size. I cut clay from the top whatever is needed to fit with the nose. The top of the beard will be covered by the hat and the nose. If you want a younger gnome you could use brown and white to make the beard.

 


Once the beard is on, I lay the hands over the sides of the beard. If I am putting a heart into the hands I lay it on now. Then I press the arms and hands into it to secure it. It will be solid once the clay is baked. I make an indentation for the nose and put the little ball of flesh colored clay on.

 


Then I create the hat. I swirl together the two, or three, colors and work to get a fun design. I shape the hat and trim the under edges of the sides until I get the perfect fit. I press it down a little to make sure the clays all stick together.

 


Once the gnome is finished, I carve my initials in the back and lay it on a small piece of paper to put into the oven. I use a dedicated toaster oven. The oven must have the temperature dial on it so you get it right. Some toaster ovens don’t have a temperature dial.  I don’t recommend using your home oven because there may be fumes from the clay when it is baking that can be toxic. If you do use your home oven be sure to clean it thoroughly before baking any food in it.

 I bake the gnome magnets for about thirty minutes at 250 degrees. I want to make sure they bake through but not burn. I let the pieces cool for at least an hour and then put on a satin glaze. I use the Sculpey glaze that I get at Michael’s.  They also have a gloss and a matte glaze.

 These gnomes seem to be very popular right now at the craft show. I enjoy making them and love to see the faces of the people when they see them. Most of them are bought to give as gifts. Here are a couple of GnomeShrooms that are getting some attention. I got the idea from Pinterest for them. 

 

I hope you experiment with whatever medium you enjoy working with. I am always looking for new ideas for all my art and craft supplies. I can spend hours on Google and Pinterest looking at art, sculpture, sewing projects and anything that catches my eye.

Note: These Gnomes are Not available at this time on my Etsy shop. 

 Til next time.

 Terri

 www.Etsy.com/shop/TerriWarrenCreations

 


No comments: