Sunday, October 13, 2013

Healing Talisman

 Thought I would post this Sunday night instead of Monday morning, since I got all the photos finished. 

In addition to being an artist, I am a Reiki Master Teacher and ordained minister. As such, I am always looking for tools to assist me in my healing work. I decided to combine the knowledge of both art and Reiki to create my own healing talismans.

I learned this week that there is a difference between amulets and talismans. An amulet is used for protection, to keep away or send away something negative. A talisman is used to bring luck, prosperity, love, health, etc. They should be created during the right phase of the moon also. Amulets during the waning moon, talismans during the waxing moon.

Today’s project is a pendant to be worn for supporting health and for me to use to enhance my healing work. The moon is waxing, or growing, so this is the right time to create a talisman and draw in powerful energies.

First was the choice of gemstones to be used. I decided that amethyst is best since it is a stone that will affect all parts of the body. It transmutes negative energy into positive and never has to be cleansed. While working on the piece, I also decided to use some turquoise. Turquoise is a wonderful healing stone but also works to protect the wearer from negative energies.

For a backing piece I chose polymer clay. The clay can be shaped and carved and I can etch symbols into it before baking. I can also put on embossing powders or metal flake (gold flake) to give it a nice look.

I conditioned the clay, combining the blue and green colors. I formed it into a ball and rolled it around until I got a swirl effect, and then pressed to flatten it. Using my roller I evened it out a little more until it was about a quarter inch thick. Blue and green are both healing colors and compliment the purple amethyst.

To cut it out I used an oval cookie cutter. First I laid some plastic wrap on the clay then pressed the cutter into the clay. Thi
s gives it a nice smoothness instead of a sharp edge.

In the center of the clay oval front I carved a Rune sigil to represent healing, victory and man. A sigil is a combination of Runes that create a powerful symbol. I wanted to combine several metaphysical healing modalities to create a strong and powerful talisman. On the back I carved the Usui Reiki symbol which stands for “universal life force energy”.

I decided to add some embossing powders to change the look of the green/blue clays.

Then I put holes around the edge to run copper wire strung with the turquoise chips. A few more holes were added to let me use wire to hold my piece of amethyst in the center over the rune sigil. I made sure to put a hole at the top center so I could also use the wire to make a loop for hanging. Then I baked the clay piece according to package directions. It is only a quarter inch thick so it only had to bake for fifteen minutes. Then it took another fifteen or so to cool before I could continue.

I used a fairly thin copper wire so it was easy to manipulate and so it would go through the turquoise chips, which have really small holes.

Copper wire is a conductor. It will conduct the energy of the stones and the symbols throughout and around the whole talisman.  The wire runs through all the turquoise and then is connected to the second wire that holds the amethyst on. This is so the energy runs around and through all stones and connects both symbols, front and back. The wires all connect on the back. This one isn’t particularly beautiful on the back, but it is exactly what I wanted.

I hung the piece on a copper chain just to continue with the idea of the conductive material. I want this to be really strong and powerful.

Once the whole thing was done I did a Reiki session on it to infuse it and consecrate it to the use it was created for.

I am working on a series of talismans for luck, love, healing and prosperity. I will also be creating some amulets for protection. Here you see two of the luck talismans in gold with a clear quartz crystal. Below is another healing talisman, minus the Reiki symbol. It looks different from the larger one above. Each talisman or amulet is going to be different since the clay always turns out with different designs and every crystal is unique.

These three pieces will be available for sale on my Etsy site on Tuesday.

For information on amulets and talismans, please check out the many websites on the internet. There are also some awesome books available at your local bookstore or on Amazon.

Til next time. J
Terri


Stop by my Etsy shop for new arrivals www.etsy.com/shop/1krazyrtist

No comments: