Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Mini Top Hat revisited

Here is the post on mini top hats. These are so fun to wear.

These were just as much fun as the fascinators. But more work and a little trickier to put together.  There are some good videos on YouTube that provide more instruction on this. One of my favorites was a video on making the Mad Hatter costume from Tim Burton’s Alice movie for Halloween. It was really cool.

I’ve said before that I love Steampunk. And in the past two weeks I’ve been getting inspired again to do some more Steampunk projects. I spent hours looking at hats, fascinators and videos on making them.

The first one shown here is actually the fourth hat I made. It’s cardstock, light cardboard, purple velvet, a black zipper, black cord, metal washers and some necklace chain. And a fabulous yellow feather. I give my husband credit for the feather. I didn’t have any purple feathers and as he was watching me go through my stash, he suggested the yellow one.  It was perfect. Then I added all the embellishments.


I didn’t have any black ribbon or trims and while going through my supplies was inspired to use a zipper as the hat band. It led to this fun Steampunk style hat.  

A glue gun is best for this type of project. It sets quickly and you can move on to the next step. I tried white glue but had to wait for hours til it dried before I could go on. And everything had to be held together with clothes pins while it was drying. What a pain. Happily I didn’t glue my clothes pins to the hats. J
 


Step one was to cut out one three inch circle and one four inch circle from light cardboard (like the back of a writing tablet or a cereal box). Then cut a ten inch strip of cardstock that is four inches wide. You can cut this strip narrower if you want a shorter hat, or wider if you want a tall, skinny hat.



Then cut out two four inch circles of fabric, a five inch circle of fabric and a 11” x 5” piece of fabric. (If you cut a wider strip of cardstock, you will need to cut a piece of fabric one inch wider than you cardstock. This lets you fold over the fabric to glue it down.

Glue one of the four inch circles of fabric to the three inch circle of cardboard. Cutting notches around the fabric makes it easier to glue down.
 

Glue the five inch circle of fabric to the four inch circle, in the same way. Then use the four inch circle to cover the other side. This will cover your fabric ends and glue. You will put trim on this edge later.



Glue your strip of cardstock together by matching the short ends and overlapping a half an inch. You will have a tube that is ten inches around.  Lay it on your strip of fabric and start gluing it. You can glue just along the edges, the fabric isn’t going to move once it’s glued down. Then before you get to the end, fold over the end edge and glue it down. This will give you a nice finish. Then cut some slits in the fabric extending from each end of the tube. Glue the pieces down to the inside of the tube. I cut the slits to make it easier. Trying to glue the whole long piece is not that easy.


For the brim piece, glue the five inch circle of fabric to the four inch circle of cardboard the same as you did for the three inch circle. Folding over the edge and gluing it down. Here I glued down the center of the fabric with white glue spread thin. Then I glued the edges.



Next, take the second four inch circle of fabric and lay it over the glued down edges on the four inch circle. It should be barely smaller than your circle, but will cover up where you glued down the first piece of fabric. I also glued the center down with white glue. The reason, after this step is done two slits will be cut through the fabric cardboard piece and a ribbon will be threaded through. Gluing the fabric with white glue will prevent it from raveling. The ribbon is meant to be used to tie the hat to your head. So cut a piece of one inch ribbon long enough to wrap around your head and make a nice ‘little’ bow. It can be tied in front of, or in back of, your neck. It depends on where you set it on your head. If it’s sitting forward, you will tie it behind your ears at the back of your head.

Anyway, next is to glue the tube to the brim piece. Run the glue around the inner edge of the tube, right on the edge. Then set it on the brim piece, centered. If you can, keep the glue from oozing out on the outside. You will put a band around but I like to try to keep it as clean as possible.

 


Next, the top. Do the same as for the brim. Run hot glue around the inside edge of the tube, or around the edge of the small circle. Do this quickly. You have to put on heavy glue to keep it from setting too fast and get the piece on. You can lift the edge a little if it doesn’t glue down.

Then add ribbon or bias tape (or a zipper) to the base of the tube where it attaches to the brim. I used a decorative cord for the top edge of the hat, this covered any glue that is showing. I also used a double row of it to cover the brim’s edge. Trim, ribbon, or beads are wonderful for covering seams and glue.


Then embellish to your hearts desire. I added the feather, chain and other metal pieces to create the Steampunk look.



This is another fun project and you can make a great mess. I had fabric, trims, feathers and cardboard everywhere. I found a great way to use some of the small scraps of fabric I had stashed. Oooh, maybe I’ll do a patchwork hat.  I am also going to make some full size hats. I am having
soooo much fun. These would also be great on some of my art dolls.


I hope you are making great messy projects. 

Til next week. J


Terri

No comments: