Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Wire Wrap





Yesterday I was at a loss as to what to do for this week’s post. I have this problem most weeks. I wander around trying to decide just what I want to write about each week. I really should start making a good list of projects.

So. I finally decided to show some photos of wire wrapping.

We live near an old gold mine that has a gift shop and where you can tour the grounds. The driveways are covered in what is called ‘slag’. The leftovers after the gold is removed. These ‘stones’ are really cool looking, with ridges and odd wrinkles. I love rocks and wood with what I would call Character.

 
This photo shows some of the pieces of slag. The three on the right are plain. The ones on the left I coated in a gloss to give them shine.

I had picked some of these up and asked the shop clerk how much she wanted for them. She gave them to me, free. I was thrilled because I saw something that could be wire wrapped and might look cool. Some of these pieces may actually still have teeny tiny dust size pieces of gold inside them. But you can’t see it and it isn’t worth trying to break up the stones to get it.
 


Interestingly, in Cottonwood, Arizona there is a long, black hill of slag in the middle of town. One of the gold mines, many years ago, dumped it there during the processing of the rocks for the gold. It is extremely hard stone now and has been there for decades. Recently and company built a processing plant and is now attempting to break up and process all that slag. I’m sure the residents are going to be happy one day when that black hill is finally gone.

Since I have all the wire I just went through my boxes and found what I needed.

I used a 20 gauge wire for what I call the framework piece. I try to shape it so it will support the piece and have a loop at the top for hanging.

Then 24 gauge wire is wrapped around the frame wire and the stone. I create a decorative back as well as front. In some cases the piece could be worn with either side out. Stones are beautiful from all sides and I like having options in my jewelry pieces.

The process of wrapping the wire to hold the stone against the framework takes several hours usually. Sometimes I have to unwrap and rewrap or completely start over.

I try to draw my ideas on paper before beginning so I can troubleshoot the problem areas. The trick is to wrap it decoratively but to secure the stone so it won’t fall out. But you also want to allow the beauty of the stone to show. So you don’t want to cover the front with too much wire.




This is a picture of a piece of glass that I wrapped yesterday. I bought the piece of glass at a yard sale a couple years ago, because it is so interesting. At first I thought it might be stone, but after thorough examination my husband and I concluded it is glass (probably from someone who does glassblowing).




The color on these two photos is different because I laid the piece on paper to take the bottom picture. I held the piece up to the light for the top one. The glass is semi-transparent and this is why I tried to wrap it so the wire didn't take away from the cool patterns.



I use the craft wire that is gold plated or silver plated. It is only about $3 a roll. I can’t afford genuine gold or silver at this point. You can find the wire in craft store , and WalMart, in the jewelry supply section. 

You can also get the jewelry pliers in the same section of the stores. I have also gotten some of them at a Home Depot. Sometimes the wire cutters get dull so I usually buy heavy duty ones.

All of the supplies are also available from Fire Mountain Gems or your local bead store, or even a jewelry supply.

This may not be a craft for you. If not, keep looking for new ideas. There are so many crafts out there to try. Many are inexpensive too. Take a class at Michaels or Joann's, or check out your local rubber stamp supply store.

There are endless possibilities. I love learning new crafts and new techniques. I find that you can always use the new techniques for some of your old projects.

Til next week.

Terri

www.etsy.com/shop/1krazyrtist




No comments: