Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Steampunk Altered Picture Frame

This past week I was watching how-to videos on YouTube. I started with oil painting, then went to mixed media, and ended up on Steampunk. I found altered tins, altered frames and art on canvas.

Needless to say I was very inspired. I have been struggling with what to do for art to sell on my Etsy webstore. I spend every day looking for ideas. The time I spent on YouTube was more valuable than I can say. I got very excited about going back to doing some of the crafting I did when I was first writing this blog.

The project today, an altered picture frame, came from that time on the computer.




I started with a frame that measures 7 ¼” x 9 ¼”. It is a wood frame designed to hold a 5x7” picture. I bought it to use for a small watercolor painting. Now it has a different life.


First I glued on some paper doilies. These are the ones you find in the cake decorating section that are used to put under cakes and treats. I laid the pieces on so they would create an old style of texture. I used ModPodge as the glue and as a seal on top.





Once the glue dried I rubbed on some acrylic paint (Raw Umber). I did a thin layer so there was a lot of different shades on the frame. I did not want to make it too dark. I used my fingers and I put the paint all over, even on the back.



After that dried I began gluing a variety of watch parts, hardware and other fun stuff. I used an old ne.cklace (cheap, not real gold) as a chain to connect the gears and other parts. The idea was to create the look of machinery. I used E6000 glue for this. It is a wonderful industrial strength glue that will hold the heavier pieces on the frame with no problems. It also stands up to being painted with the acrylics and water.

I collect junk. Yes. I pick up washers, screws, wire, and other things that I find on the ground. My husband brings me some amazing metal pieces when he takes apart any appliances or computers.  I also was lucky to get a whole box of watch parts from a friend a few months ago. I don’t think he knew the value of that box.



I let the glued piece sit overnight. It sets quickly but isn’t really dry for about 24 hours.



I mixed some ModPodge with some of the raw umber acrylic paint. Approximately 1/3 glue and 2/3 paint. The theory is that the glue will help the paint adhere to the pieces glued on. I also did not want an opaque look. I wanted the pieces to have cohesive look but not enough to mask their unique looks. Like the watch faces. I wanted to be able to still see what makes them so cool looking.


I let this paint/glue coating dry. Next I took some Folk Art brand metallic acrylics, Metallic Antique Copper, Metallic Blue Topaz and Metallic Pearl White and added some accents. I did thin watered down washes and just dabbed with a brush. I wanted highlights and subtle colors all over. It was looking a little boring and the colors just added a little pizzazz.  Then I did a last light coat of the ModPodge to seal it. Since I had done watered down washes I was concerned about the integrity of the paints. The final seal coat will keep the paint from rubbing off. (But the fact that it’s gloss over metallic paint made it hard to photograph)


It’s ready for the glass to go back in, and ready for a picture. It’s also ready to go on Etsy to be sold. And I am ready to create another one. I am also planning to do some similar work on canvas to create some fun artwork for my Etsy shop. I am so excited right now about these projects. I am enjoying the break from the too serious work of oil paintings and designing coloring pages.

Sometimes you just have to stop and give yourself a chance to remember what excited you in the past. What are you passionate about?

You know, just because you know how to do something does not mean you have to do it. I know how to paint landscapes and I know how to sew. But I don’t have to keep doing these things if they don’t excite me.

As always, I hope I have been able to inspire you to try something different. Or at least to consider new things.

Life is more interesting when we change our view of it.

Til next week.

Terri

1KrazyRtist

www.etsy.com/shop/1krazyrtist

No comments: