Wednesday, May 4, 2016

New Paintings

 I thought I would share the two new oil paintings I have finally finished. And talk a little about paint.
This post was supposed to be up two weeks ago, but somehow it didn't get published. So here it is now instead.
Both paintings are on canvas panels. They are 8x10”. 

I love watching painting programs on the local PBS channel and get so inspired by them. I love the outdoors and especially love trees. I spent much of my life in the Sierras and love the trees and lakes that are so plentiful there. My favorite thing is actually dead trees. They have such character. They tell interesting stories.

I have worked with acrylic paints most of my life. It has only been in the past few years that I have really gotten into the oils. I do love to experiment and learn new things. So I have tried watercolors, alkyds, gouache, and charcoal and pastels. I love every single medium. Each has its own quirks and I find it entertaining to see how each one can be used.

I think the acrylic is probably the most versatile medium. Acrylic paint can be put on heavy like oils, or thinned down like watercolors. It dries quickly, making it perfect for craft projects. It is also great for those with allergies. No turpentine needed. No noxious fumes. Plus, if you don’t like something, let the paint dry. Then in fifteen minutes, or less, you can just paint over it.

Pencils, pastels, charcoal and colored pencils are great when you don’t want to really make a huge mess. There is no concern for spilling water or turpentine with these.

Oils are great for working wet into wet (like Bob Ross and William Alexander). You can change something while the paint is still wet by just scraping off the paint and putting in what you want. You can mix colors right on the canvas. I especially love the feel of the paint as it slides across the canvas.

I just love to learn new things and expanding on my knowledge of art mediums and how they work is a lot of fun.

Don’t be afraid to try new paint mediums, new techniques, or even new things to paint on. Wood panels, canvas panels, paper, old saw blades, an old pair of shoes, a wall, all are fair game in my mind. Obviously I will paint on just about anything.

Let your imagination run wild, then reign it in and evaluate the ideas. If something fascinates you, it might be worth a try.


Til next week.

Terri

Both of these paintings will be available in my Etsy Shop 

www.etsy.com/shop/1krazyrtist


No comments: