Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Steampunk Inspired Trash Can

This week I was considering buying a small trash can for the bathroom. Since we live in a 29 foot travel trailer it would have to be a very small trash can.

 
I considered buying a plastic one, but then started looking around. I have been working on Steampunk picture frames and my eye landed on one of them. Hmmmmm. Yep. I decided to make my own trash can. But what to use to create it. An empty beverage box was sitting by the sink to go out to the trash. Aha. That was it.




So first the flaps had to be cut and glued down so they would reinforce the top edge. E6000 glue did the trick with clothes pins holding the flaps in place for an hour til the glue set.


I used the scraps from the flaps to cut inserts for the handle holes. The scraps were glued to a piece of card stock that was glued to the outside of the box.




Then the whole thing was covered in paper mache (newspaper pieces put on with diluted ModPodge. I think I put on at least four layers. I wanted it to be stronger than just the cardboard.




Once those layers dried, the whole thing should be painted with a coat of black acrylic paint. 


Obviously by the photos you will see that I left it white which was my mistake.


The paint tends to bubble when you put it on with a brush.  A white background under the cheesecloth means having to put on extra paint over several hours. Every time a coat dries you find the white spots. A black background gives you a step up on the process. 




I covered it with pieces of cheesecloth applied just like the newspaper. At least three, maybe four layers were applied. The cheesecloth adds both texture and strength. The cardboard and newspaper could possibly tear, but the cheesecloth will prevent that. I also made sure to make folds, ridges and bumps in the cheesecloth to create a very textured feel.


After the glue dried for the cheesecloth four little feet were added. I recently bought some wooden doll heads for just this purpose. They are flat on one side and work perfectly to be glued to the bottom of things as feet. E6000 glue holds them on perfectly. The glue had to dry for a few hours before I could do the next step.

Then….I painted the whole thing with a couple of coats of black acrylic paint. I painted the inside with the black as well. And a few more hours of finding all the little white dots and dabbing paint into them.


 

After the black paint finally was done, I used metallic antique gold acrylic paint to add the highlights. By using my finger to apply the paint it just hit the high points of the textured box and created an antique look. I rub my finger across the paint to create a thin coat of paint on it. Then I slide my finger across the textured surface. The paint only sticks to the high spots. I can add as much, or as little, paint as I want with this technique. I just keep adding until I get the desired effect.


 
The little feet were painted with the antique gold so they looked like little metal balls as feet. The feet will keep the bottom of the box from sitting on a wet floor.

After all the paint dried the whole box was sprayed with polyurethane varnish to make it waterproof. It is going into the bathroom and I wanted to make sure it didn’t fall apart if it got hit with any water.


Of course I will always line it with a small plastic bag. But it will still look cool in the bathroom.

Now I am looking for my next decorating project. There are so many options in this little trailer. It’s only eight years old and like new inside, but it could use some fun accents.

Hope you have a great week.

Terri

1KrazyRtist



No comments: