Thursday, May 26, 2016

Krazy Lapel Pin/Pendant



This post is late because I hadn’t finished this project and wasn’t sure what to do for this week.




I was originally inspired by some fun handmade pendants I saw on a Google images search. They were fun with faces and wire and beads, all on a cardboard backing.









So I cut out some cardboard shapes to start the project. I originally started with a piece of fabric and some lace. While I was contemplating the next step I ate a couple pieces of my favorite dark chocolate. And the foil wrappers caught my eye. One purple, one red and wow, they were too cool not to use.







I used E6000 to glue the two pieces of foil to a cardboard shape.







Then a piece of copper wire mesh was added. Since the edges were rough and caught on everything, I folded them over just a little to create a smoother edge. I laid the mesh on at an angle and folded the corners over to the back to create a more interesting look.


Again, I used E6000 to glue down the corners in the back so the mesh would stay on.


I wanted an interesting texture so I wrapped some thin copper wire back and forth across the piece. Though it is hard to see in some places, the wire shows up when you get close enough. I used this wrapped wire to also wire on the freeform copper wire piece.



The tribal face was created some time ago with polymer clay. I used a mold to first create it, then etched some lines in it before it was baked according to the package directions. Once it cooled it was painted with some bronze and copper acrylic paints. Then sealed with some Future floor polish to make it shine.


I glued the face to the wire mesh. Then the necklace chain was dipped in ModPodge and laid on the piece. I dripped some diluted ModPodge along the chain to create a nice secure hold.


Last was the small turquoise chips. I wanted some splashes of a different color. The turquoise adds a nice touch.

I put a small copper ring at the top edge to allow me to wear this as a necklace. But I may glue a pin back on it too so I can attach it to a jacket or sweater.

The overall size of the piece is 2 ¾” x 2 ¼” .
 
This is a fun project. The main idea is to cut out some odd shaped cardboard pieces. Cover the pieces with either fabric, paper, or foil. Then just start adding beads, chains, wire, faces, cutouts, whatever you fell should be on it. It can have a theme, or just be abstract.

If the back of your pin/pendant looks less than appealing, I recommend gluing a piece of decorative paper or fabric to it. Cut the piece a little smaller than the size of the pin and glue it down well. If you glue on a pin back you want to make sure it has a solid spot under it so it won’t droop or tear when you wear it.
  
Having a fun time is key. Experiment and see what happens.

Til next week.

Terri

1KrazyRtist

http://www.etsy.com/shop/1krazyrtist

No comments: