Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Altered Wooden Thread Spools




Recently I bought my favorite magazine, Cloth Paper Scissors. There was an article where the artist used wooden thread spools and made them into hanging focal pieces. I love this idea, and I happen to have a whole bunch of wooden spools.

 











I began by cutting some drawing paper into strips to wrap around the spools. Watercolor paints were used to create the multi-color background and the antiqued brown. While the paper was still wet I tore one end so it had a rough edge. This can give a little more interesting character to a project.




Then a .005 tip Prismacolor brown drawing pen was used to write the words Peace, Serenity and Calm and some designs onto some of the strips. I did not take the thread off the spools because I was going to cover it up with paper. I also think it would be fun to do some without paper but keep the thread on as part of the decorative theme of the piece.

 
Fabric or lace was cut in a circle to glue to the ends. An X was cut into the center of the fabric circle so the wire could go down through the spool.


Small pieces of cheesecloth were glued on with ModPodge. Just another layer to create more character.

For the larger spool I cut a flower out of some fabric and glued it behind the polymer clay face.

The fun part of this type of project is that there is no right or wrong thing to do to the spool. Just experiment with beads, wires, fabrics, charms and other jewelry pieces.

Wire was used to wrap double terminated crystals from Tibet. By adding the crystal I felt it would aid in the feeling of serenity.


18 gauge wire was put through the spools and beads threaded on. Loops were created for hanging at the top and to put charms and beads from the bottom.




Both glass and polymer clay beads were used on these.  On the smaller spool I used a butterfly charm to hang at the bottom.

Very small spools could be turned into necklaces to wear. Larger spools can be used as decorative pieces or curtain pulls, or anywhere you choose.

These might be fun gifts when made to be inspirational for a friend or loved one. You could write a lovely message on the paper and glue on things that would make the person receiving it happy.



In the future I may add wire mesh, pieces of tree branches, driftwood, shells, jewelry chain, watch parts, springs, feathers, ribbons, and lots of other stuff to the spools. My mind is spinning with ideas. Polymer clay could even be baked onto the spools. Multiple spools could be connected to each other. Oh! the possibilities are endless.

I call these first ones ‘Serenity Spools’. I think they would be perfect to hang in a meditation room or wherever you need a little piece of calm and quiet.
 
Wire, beads, charms and the jewelry pliers can be found at any of the craft supply stores. I do recommend spending a little extra on your pliers. The inexpensive ones tend to bend and break after just a little use. I even get some of my tools at Home Depot.

ModPodge and E6000 can be found at craft supply stores and some grocery and retail stores.

I hope this has given you some new ideas for fun projects. You could even use plastic spools if you can’t find wooden ones. This might even be a good project for kids. They can glue on whatever they choose.

Til next week.

Terri

1KrazyRtist




No comments: