Monday, August 29, 2016

Mask Paintings from 1992



Last week I shared some older drawings. It inspired today’s post.

In 1992 to 1994 I lived in central Florida. I worked in a great metaphysical shop and was close friends with the owner. The idea for these mask paintings was born from a customer bringing in a 36”x48” canvas with a hole in it (from an arrow). The idea was to create something that would cover the hole and still be a cool piece of art.



After I created the first one I went out and bought some new canvases and created these pieces. I went on to create almost a dozen of these.

I began by using acrylic paint to create an interesting background. In some cases I sprinkled glitter on the wet paint.
 
I painted the plastic masks with spray paint. On the canvas behind the mask was some glitter to sparkle through the eye holes when light hit it. Once the paint on the canvas and mask had dried I began to lay out the fabric, mask and flowers to determine what the design would be.

I would get most pieces laid out on the canvas and then I would start gluing the pieces down. The layout was a general idea and it always came together as I worked.

I think my favorite is the pink one with the hat. It was a fun idea and I was happy when it came out so well.

These were a lot of fun to make and the sold well in the shop. I even did a couple of commissions for friends.

I never made any more of the mask paintings when I moved to Sedona, Arizona in 1994. Life changed and I didn’t do a lot of art for a while.

These were all 16x20” and 24x28”, but would definitely work on smaller canvases as projects for kids. You can find masks as small as 1” or 2” and the full size, at your local craft store. Michael’s and Joann’s usually have them in the same aisle as the feathers and doll making supplies.
 
This idea would also be cool for a group of friends to do as an art party.  A little wine and cheese, and lots of crafty supplies. Hmmm. This is giving me ideas.

I shared this group of works because they were more craft related than art. I hope it has inspired you a little. There are so many different ideas and ways to put things together.

I hope you step outside the box and try something new.

Terri.

1KrazyRtist


No comments: