Saturday, August 24, 2013

MIni Box


This post is from 2012. I am doing an accordion book for the Monday post and thought I would post this one and the follow-up one as examples.  I am going to be creative on the new one. But in the meantime, enjoy this mini box and the post on last year’s accordion book that goes into this box.

Originally posted 06/11/12

What do you do with small boxes you receive in the mail? Decorate them.

I received this tiny box recently with a paint sample in it. Specifically a mini can of spray acrylic paint from Liquitex. I put the box aside and eventually made my way back to it to alter it.

I started by gluing any loose sides so they wouldn’t move while I decorated it.
    
Then I covered it with a striped brown scrapbook paper. The inside was lined with a lighter, different paper.

Beads from a couple of old earrings were used as feet. The beads are plastic and have one flat side. I used my Dremel to get all the glue off the flat surface and glued them on the bottom with E-6000 glue.

E-6000 glue is a wonderful, industrial grade, glue that can stand extreme temperatures and holds really well.
    
Then I had a great time putting a few items on the box as decorations. I used rick-rack from a bag I got at a yard sale, words cut from a piece of scrapbooking paper, tissue paper, and a bird charm photo from a jewelry catalog.


The box needed a way to close it so I used a star hole punch and punched three stars into the flap.  Then I took five different fiber cords and threaded them through the center hole. I tied a knot at that hole and wrapped the cords around the box and tied them.

The box isn’t meant to be truly secure. It is pretty much meant to be decorative. Of course, it could be used as a wish box, or prayer box.

I like it and have put it on my book shelf so I can look at it every once in a while. It will provide inspiration for future projects. Maybe it will become a gift one day.


Don’t throw away those little boxes. They can become cute little decorative pieces for you table or shelf. They can be made into prayer boxes, gift boxes, or even hold a handmade book. Hmmm, that may be my next project.

“Think outside the box” when you are looking for a project. Use your artwork, scraps, fabrics, charms, and decorative papers to create a fun piece of art.

It’s all art. Even if it fits the category of crafts, you are still making art.

Be messy, get dirty (painted, glued, glittered, etc.) and have a good time. Don’t stress about the outcome. If it doesn’t look good to you, cover it up, paint it, glue something more over it. Keep layering and painting til you get to the place where the project tells you it is done.

Terri



No comments: