Monday, August 5, 2013

Mini Sketch Books

Let’s get started. I am going to try to keep this blog a little shorter, but still have the descriptive photos.

Years and years ago I got this really cool little sketch book that looked like a matchbook. So I decided last week to make one. My project ended up with six total. They are easy to make and don’t really take much time.

The paper for the cover measures 2”wide x 6” long. I folded one end up at about 5/8”. The other end has folds at 2 ½” and 2 ¾”. This allows the space for the paper.


Using two or three 8 1/2x 11 sheets of printer paper, I cut pieces that measure 1 ¾” x 2 ¼”.  You can only insert as many as your stapler will handle. I had to get my heavy duty stapler for the job. (I have one that is extra long, designed for stapling books).

At this point I glued on a decoration. You can paint on the book, sketch on the cover, or just glue some fun images on it.  On a couple of the books I just used some fun scrapbooking paper and didn’t have to do any decorating.

This is a great mini sketch book to put in you pocket or purse. They would also make great stocking stuffers or extra decoration to attach to a gift. Just put the name of the person on the cover of the book and attach it to the gift box.
 
It’s not just for artists to use for sketching. These little books would be great as note books. You can make them any size you want. Just create a template the size you need and use it to cut out your cover. Then cut paper to fit. Remember to keep it thin enough for your stapler to handle. But you could also glue the pages, or stitch them and glue them in. Check out YouTube for bookbinding how-to videos.

 I love these and think I will make some for my family for Christmas. By choosing the right themes I can personalize them for each one. Nascar for my son, shoes for my daughter, and well I’ll have to think about what to do for all my granddaughters. And then there is everyone else, family, and friends.

Til next time. J

Terri

Check out the 1KrazyRtist Etsy shop for art, jewelry, and other fun gift items. New products every week.

No comments: