Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Accordion Book part 2




So today I’ll show you how I made the tabbed pages and the pop ups. These are actually easy and fun to create.

The previous post showed how to build the basic accordion book. Today I’ll share how I made the pocket pages and the pop-up ones.




Remember that my pages are 4x6”. To create pockets I cut a piece of decorative paper 4x2 ½”. On both short edges and one long edge I made a ¼” fold. I trimmed the corners so it would lay right. Putting glue on the folded edges, I glued the pocket to the page.  You can decorate the front of the pocket before you glue it on, or after. If the decoration has to wrap in behind the pocket then it must be glued on before attaching it to the page.










For the pop-up cards I started by watching some You-Tube videos. I knew the basics, but wanted to learn about the more intricate style of pop-ups. There are some great instructive videos and you can learn a lot on You-Tube.


So I needed something to use as pop-ups and since the theme is nature, I decided to sit down (Sunday afternoon) with my paints, markers and colored pencils and create some flowers and trees. I really wanted to create at least one evergreen as a pop-up. (I like Christmas).

The first one was just for a butterfly. Typically the popup is made from a piece of cardstock the same size as your card. I just cut out a small rectangle and made the piece to hold the butterfly that I had stamped a while back.

Gluing is a little bit of a trick because you want the part that pops out left without glue.


For the tree, I cut it like the instructions I found. The cardstock was 4x6”. From the photo you can see I left one spot on each side of the tree uncut. I glued the piece to the pages, matching the folds. Then I painted the tree and added some teal tissue paper. The white is cake papers cut to look like snow covered mountains. You don’t usually glue anything behind the pop up, but I don’t always follow the rules in crafting.

Even though I haven’t finished this book, I like how it’s going.

I am considering making pop up Christmas cards this year to send to my family and friends.



I hope that everyone tries something new that will push you beyond your comfort zone. Pop ups are a challenge, but well worth the effort.

Til next time. J
Terri


Stop by my Etsy shop for new arrivals www.etsy.com/shop/1krazyrtist

No comments: