Monday, September 2, 2013

Fabric Wrist Cuffs



So it’s Sunday and I just figured out last night what I wanted to make today. I have been interested in making some fabric wrist cuff bracelets for a while. Why not now?

I looked at a bunch on Google and then went through my scraps for inspiration.



I measured my wrist and then added a about two inches. My wrist is small and I wanted to create a cuff that could fit larger wrists. My piece measures 2 ½ x 8 ½”.  This allows a little fabric to lay under the clasp and lets me put extra buttons on it. (In the photo below it’s 10 ½ but I cut it shorter)


Pinking shears make a great edge design. Then stitching all the way around the edge prevents any fraying that might compromise the structure later.

Then it’s time to layer different fabrics. I like to lay out the fabrics and see what works best together. Then cut pieces out, using the pinking shears again to give all the pieces some commonality.

For the button loop I cut a 1”x 4” strip, folded it in half, then folded the edges in to the center. This gives nice folded edges. Then I just stitched up the edge where the two sides came together. The ends are not finished because they go between two of the layers on the cuff and will be hidden. I went ahead and stitched it to the under side of the one piece of fabric that would be stitched to the end of the cuff. That way when I stitch it down it will be sandwiched between the bottom piece of brown denim and the upper fabrics.

After I got a few pieces of fabric stitched together I pinned this piece to the denim back. Then I continued to sew on pieces. I like the idea of the stitching crossing back and forth on the back of the cuff. It won’t be seen because it will be against the wrist, but the designs would be cool.
 
Then I got the idea to add some trims or something. I found this great yarn and pinned it between the denim and the other fabrics. I stitched it down and then added more fabrics.

Then I did something krazy. I laid a bunch of the yarn all over the cuff and using a zigzag stitch sewed it in place. This flattened the yarn a little, but the cuff came out kind of fluffy.


Then I added three buttons on the end opposite my loop. This allows the cuff to be adjusted to different size wrists. It could even be worn over a sleeve. Hmmmm! Two of the buttons were put on for the loop. The third button was added near the loop as decoration. It creates a cohesive design.  The buttons could have been a little bigger but my button stash has dwindled and I didn’t have a lot of choices.

I went on to make a couple more cuffs. They are so easy and quick to make. I plan on making one that is a mini purse too. I have to work out the design, but will post it when I finally figure it out.


I do think that if the cuffs are any wider than about 2 ½” inches you have to cut them to allow for the taper of the arm as it get wider the higher you go.

I love the look that the cuffs make and plan on making a bunch more. They are fun, easy and can be made to go with any outfit. They also will keep your wrists warm during the winter months.

You can get lots of ideas on Google by typing in ‘fabric wrist cuffs’. There are plenty of them out there and they are all really cool looking.

Til next time. J
Terri


Stop by my Etsy shop for more new arrivals www.etsy.com/shop/1krazyrtist

No comments: