Monday, September 16, 2013

Simple Hippie Scarf

Being born in the early 1950’s I was in high school in the 60’s. I had bell bottom jeans and wore
cropped tops. Though I never did drugs or embraced the hippie styles too much, I am still a child of that time period. I love the hippie look and am having fun creating handbags and jewelry that reflect the hippie fashion styles.

Here is a simple head scarf that takes just minutes to make on your sewing machine.





The pattern piece is simple. It is four inches wide on one end and 1 ¼” wide at the other. The piece is 19” long. It sounds too short, right? Well you put the 4” end on a fold and when you cut it you have a 38” piece of fabric. When it’s sewn the scarf will be 37” long.



I like things to do double duty, in this case be reversible. So I cut two pieces of different fabrics so I can wear whichever side suits my fancy for the day.


Pin right sides together and sew one side completely from tip to tip. On the other long side sew from one point to a spot two inches from the center and back stitch. (Seam allowance is approximately ¼”) Then do the same from the other end. This leaves you a four inch opening in the center of that side for turning the band. Trim your corners before turning. This makes smoother corners.


If you want more of a point on the ends just change the taper from the center, or curve your seams toward the center. Still leave space for at least two stitches at the ends. The two stitches will make it easier to turn and give you a nice point. (a lesson I learned when sewing fingers on small doll hands )

Once you have turned it, press the edges and pin. You want to create a nice smooth edge. Then, pin the opening closed.

Topstitch the band all the way around less than a 1/4” from the edge. (You can hand stitch the opening if you want before you top stitch)


You are done. Of course you could make fabric flowers, sew on beads, or embellish however you want.
 
You can also embellish the pieces before you pin them together if you want.

Oh, and here’s a hint. I used two different colored threads to topstitch this scarf. I put black thread in the bobbin and brown thread on top of the machine. Then when I did the top stitching I made sure I had the brown fabric up. It didn’t really matter when sewing the pieces together because the thread would be inside. But I wanted the threads on the outside to match my fabrics.


This is a project where you can get really creative and make fun head bands to go with all your outfits. These would also be fun as gifts for the young ladies in your life. My granddaughters are all 16 to 19 so they are a little too old for the cutesy ones. But they might like some made with satin or velvet and embellished with beads.
  
Til next time. J
Terri


Stop by my Etsy shop for new arrivals www.etsy.com/shop/1krazyrtist

No comments: