Monday, September 23, 2013

Wall Hanging for Inspiration

This is more a project for the kids than for adults. This is a project that came out of my work with the developmentally disabled adults. I spent four years working for a small non-profit corporation in Las Vegas, NV teaching, planning and designing art and craft projects for a day work program. My clients loved this because it was all about what they liked.


You could actually use this project as a wish board if you wanted. Instead of doing a bunch of small panels you can do one larger piece and use the same techniques.

The first thing to do is grab a bunch of magazines and a pair of scissors. Begin cutting out the things that grab your eye. Words, images, sayings, people, color swatches, etc. For a wish board you would cut out the things that you want in your life, words that describe you or your desires, colors you love, etc.

 
After I cut a bunch of images and words out of the fashion magazines I had, I separated them into categories: words, places, clothing, and miscellaneous images. This made it easier to see what I had to work with. I also grabbed some of my own stamped sheets and my rubber stamps so I could add more if I wanted. I didn’t use most of this stuff. But it’s always nice to have it out in case you want to use it.
 
 For the wall hanging I cut pieces of cardstock in half creating 8 ½”x5 ½” pieces. I made four of them to begin, then had to decide what direction (orientation) I wanted them. They will hang one above the other and I don’t want the hanging to stretch too long.


I used a plain brown cardstock because I knew I would be covering it with glue and stuff. With young children you might want to use colored cardstock since they might want to allow the background to show. They don’t see things the same as adults. It’s really best to let them pick the color of cardstock they want to use. That way they can let it show, or not, as they see fit.


Then it was time to begin playing with the images. I decided to create a wall hanging that represents art. But as I worked, and looked at the words I had cut out, I saw the words inspiration board, illuminated, and power. These became my focus. I started with some large, bright background pieces that would fill up the negative spaces. I worked on all four pieces at the same time so they had a cohesive look.
 
Don’t worry so much about cutting each piece perfectly, or that the glued pieces hang over the edge of your back board. Once it’s done you can turn it over and trim the edges.

After I got my background made I put on a bunch of words to create some inspirational messages.


Then I used a hole punch to create holes ¼” down and one inch in on the corners. Except for the piece going on the bottom. It only needed holes in the top edge. (Unless you want to put ribbons or streamers from the bottom, then you would punch holes there too.

Then I used some hemp cord to tie them together so they hang down the wall. The hemp cord is in a corresponding color to compliment my boards. Measure the cord about three times the length of your four boards. This allows for the knots you tie at each hole to hold them in place.

This project only takes a couple hours. It’s a great project to occupy the kids on a rainy afternoon. It would also be fun at a birthday party or to just let the kids be creative.

I know it’s not great art, but it’s fun and it can inspire you to create some real art projects. You could even turn this into a serious project with canvas, paint and your imagination.

Til next time. J
Terri


Stop by my Etsy shop for new arrivals www.etsy.com/shop/1krazyrtist

No comments: