Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A Fun Dog Charm Necklace


Today’s post is showing something I have wanted to create for quite a while.


Last May (2015) we lost our beloved dog, Nugget. He was 14 years old and very sick. It broke our hearts. I have wanted to make a necklace with some dog related charms and ribbon I found at Walmart. This necklace reminds me of Nugget and is a way to honor him.



In fact, all the supplies for this necklace can be found at Walmart. Just check the jewelry making section and the sewing section.

After several tries, this is my final creation. I used approximately 22” of ribbon to go around the back of the neck (this length allows for the knots). I love the dog prints on it. Then I made a couple of double loop jump rings to tie the ribbon off. This let me attach smaller single jump rings to the double one.

Put approximately two inches of ribbon through the ring to tie it off. If there is a little extra left as tails, just trim it off. You can use more ribbon, or less, depending on how long you want the necklace.

I used a piece of chain 13” long. To create the two different size chain lengths, I put a jump ring at about 5 1/2” and attached it to one end of the ribbon (to the double ring).


On the other end of the ribbon (double ring) I attached the bar part of the clasp. Then I took the two free ends of the chain and attached them to the ring part of the clasp.

The Love charm is place in the middle of the shorter chain. The dog paw print charm is placed in the middle of the longer chain.

Then the angel wings were put just three chain links from the Love charm.

The bone charms were put eight links form the paw print charm.

For me these charms represent the love that Nugget gave us and that is, and always was, an angel.


This is a simple little project and only takes about an hour to put it together. It took longer for me because I wasn’t sure how it was going to go together. Now that I have the measurements I could make one in less time.

At your local craft store (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann) or Walmart you can find lots of cool charms and ribbon with fun themes. Match your ribbon to the charms and create some fun jewelry. All the clasps, rings and tools are available in either store.

This could even be a fun project for a jewelry party or a Saturday afternoon I’m Bored project.

I hope you make some awesome pieces.

Til next week.


Terri



No comments: