Wednesday, October 12, 2016

drawing 1

Day 1 of my art challenge:

I was looking back through one of my sketch books and found an old sketch that was only about two inches across. I decided to do a newer version, only a little bigger.

This is a 5x7” pencil sketch on 80 pound, acid free, drawing paper.

I used a 2H pencil to start the sketch, then added darker accents with a B and a 2B.

Drawing pencils come in a variety of lead hardness and softness. The H is hard and the 2H is the same as your yellow school pencil. They go up to 6H and 8H. The higher the number the harder the lead and the lighter the line they will draw.

The B is the softer lead and goes up to at least 8B. The lead is soft and makes darker lines. The higher the number, the softer the lead, the darker the line it makes.

These two pictures are from one of my college art classes. The assignment was to use advertisements from magazines to create a collage. Then do a pencil drawing from the collage.

I used a variety of pencils to create the 8”x10” drawing.  This is from 1982.

  
It’s a lot of fun to experiment with the different leads and see what type of shadows and lines you can create.  

I hope you take any opportunity to try new things when you can. You never know where those things might lead.

Terri

1KrazyRtist


No comments: